Earlier iPhone models such as the 5, 5s, 6 and 6 Plus only allow the voice-activated Siri while the device is plugged in for power.
But there is a cool hack that allows the older devices to activate Siri with the "Hey, Siri" command.
Here's how to do it.
- Ensure that the "Hey Siri" command is enabled in settings (Settings, General, Siri, Allow "Hey Siri")
- Press the home button once to activate Siri and ask a simple question like "What Time is It?"
- After Siri answers, Siri will accept the "Hey Siri" command for another question.
- You can continue to ask Siri questions, hands-free, and not be connected to power.
- If the screen times out and locks, you'll no longer be able to use this trick. You can change the length of time for the lock screen in settings.
Of course, the reason that Apple requires Siri to be connected to power in the older models is to conserve battery strength. But there are times when this hands-free trick can be handy, like in the kitchen.
#Apple #iPhone #Siri #HeySiri #hands-free